Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Unexpected Surprises in Grey


Oh come the dawn on a cloudy day. I felt this morning was going to be a drag because it was cloudy out and there was no way in heck I wanted to go out there. Come on I know some of you felt that when the bed is oh so comfortable and you truly don’t want to answer the gong. This not to say that I wasn’t full of vim and vigor it was the fact it was just nasty out. Ok here were the facts that greeted me this morning when I woke the temperature outside was 78 degrees Fahrenheit with the humidity at 92 percent. Don’t you like the fact that the Weather Channel gives you all of this information if you are trying to send a rocket ship into outer space? I don’t know about you but my air conditioned environment was seemed to me to be the place to be. Just imagine the siren song of the humming air conditioner when it is muggy out there. There is a saying that a coward dies a thousand deaths but a hero only dies once; well this was put up of shut up, no more excuses, no one to call you to ask if you were coming out to run. I went through the pre-run checklist: keys on lanyard … check; photo I.D. in the sneaker … check; iPod Nano with sensor and receiver … check. I went out into my hallway of my apartment and you could feel a wave of humid air just hit you all over your body and I thought that this was crazy, however I have my training schedule and I was going to stick with it. I have always heard that runner love overcast days and I for the life of me couldn’t understand this. For me as a newbie runner I saw cloudy days as a reason to sleep late. The legs still felt a hit heavy but I began my stretches the air felt cool. At that time I had one of the eyebrows raising moments and I felt that this was going to be a good day. I programmed the iPod for 15 minutes and began my power walking. Worn red Nike Shox+ began tapping a fast tempo as my hazel eyes focused forward never looking down. I was just in my own world and the fact that it was cloudy and humid out there didn’t bother me at that point I was doing my walk and liking the moment that was until … the countdown began. For those out there that doesn’t have the Nike Sport Running System teamed up with your Nano you will receive a countdown when you programmed in the number of minutes you want to run. Foolish me I didn’t know this, to tell you the truth I was frankly amazed at this fact until it reached the minute mark. My form power walking form began breaking down like a blue Ford Fairmont with no oil in the engine. Four minutes to go my shins were beginning to tighten up and burn. Three minutes and counting the lactic acid is coursing through my calves lighting my world on fire. From there the final two minutes I reached down deep and I was determined beyond something I have every felt before to make this my Col du Galibier. I was going to gut out these minutes without stopping. Eyes focused forward, always forward not looking down. I have always been taught in cycling when you start looking down at you pedals or down at the grown you are defeated. I was determined not to allow that to happen to me again because for the past two days I have been doing that. I was able to bang out mile without stopping; I was truly pumped by this accomplishment. I sat down on the bench and I began to stretch out my shins to workout the cramps. As I sat there I realized I wasn’t tired what so ever I decided to do a cool down and I switch to those Benedictine Monks and I began to do a five minute cool down and as I began to walk slowly it began to drizzle and I didn’t want to stop. Needless to say I continued, after a couple of minutes the drizzling stopped. As the monks chanted out Rorate Cali Desuper Mode I, Invitational Antiphon. Christus Natus Est Nobis and Psalm 94, 1-2. Mode IV, Kyrie II Mode III, Gloria VIII Mode V, Sanctus VIII Mode VI. I still wasn’t tired; I was satisfied with the workout for the time since started this enterprise. It is interesting to me that with a day starting out so gloomy and filled with on a shred of promise it came out to be one of the best days I had exercising. I found it to be an epiphany because as a mystery is slow unpacked for us to understand we enter a brave new world filled with new challenges to explore and to over come. How wondrous are the feet that tap out in a rhythmic time? How great is the day that is brought to us as the cloud cover the sun? For the first time I can say as a budding runner, pretty darn good.

 

23 June, 2008

Distance: 1.78 miles

Time: 32:23

Pace: 18:07 min / mille

No comments: